Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Un-Cookie Monster

This morning Jaela, Macey, and Anya had a dentist appointment, and as always, they got balloons when they were done.  Isaak got one too, but being a not-quite-two-year-old-boy, of course he accidentally popped his shortly after we got home.  As soon as we were done with school this afternoon, the girls began playing non-stop with their balloons, being very careful to let Isaak watch, but not touch, because they don't want him to pop theirs too!

After a quick snack, we all worked together and made cookies this afternoon, and as soon as they were ready to go into the oven, all three girls disappeared upstairs to play with their balloons again.  Isaak and I watched the cookies bake by ourselves.  When the first tray came out of the oven, I sampled one to make sure they were done and shared a small crumb with Isaak.  He announced that it was "Goo!" and ran to the bottom of the stairs to tell his sisters about it.  When he paused in his babbling, I called to him to tell them the cookies were ready while he was at it.  The girls heard me and came running to the kitchen.  

While they ran all over the kitchen getting themselves plates and glasses of milk, and all three girls tried to tell me at once which cookies they made, and which ones they wanted, Isaak quietly disappeared.  I had my suspicions, but I waited until each of the girls had their cookies and milk before I asked, "Where's Isaak?"  They shrugged, not really concerned (or interested), and in that brief moment of quiet, an "Ooooooh!" floated down the stairs.

I couldn't help it.  I started laughing, and they asked me what was so funny.  I told them, "Isaak waited until you were distracted by the cookies, and then he went upstairs to play with your balloons!"  NOW they were interested in their brother's whereabouts!  "Eeek, Isaak!  Don't pop my balloon!"  They ran upstairs to move their balloons out of reach, and shortly all four kids reappeared in the kitchen.

This time, they made sure Isaak got his cookies first, before they sat down to their own!  :)