Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pirates!

Yesterday in school, Jaela and Macey read about pirates. Their lesson was more about one pirate's place in history and less about descriptions or actions of pirates in general, so they were eager to learn more. I found that my bookshelves are embarrassingly short on books about pirates (except for a children's version of Treasure Island, which they've already read more than once), so we sat down together and watched the 1983 movie version of The Pirates of Penzance instead, just for fun. As usually happens when I watch that movie, I laughed until I cried!

This morning, as I sat at the computer ichatting with Mike, I could hear the girls playing pirate in their room. They found things to use as swords, knives, and guns, and contrived belts to hold them all. Macey instructed Anya in the finer points of using a powder horn to load her gun. (She might have missed a few details here and there...) A few minutes later I heard them discussing how full to fill their cups with rum, and then a rousing chorus of "Yo, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum!" There was a brief moment of quiet as they pretended to drink, followed by fake gagging, choking, and spitting, and "Ew! Yuck!"

They went from ship to captured ship around their room until they finally landed on an island that looked like a good place to bury their treasure. Unfortunately, Anya was too slow in getting back onto the ship, and Jaela and Macey decided to maroon her on the island. Anya burst into tears. "I don't like you guys marooning me!"

Luckily (for them), the other pirates had a change of heart, and made the ship wait for Anya, and their adventures ended peacefully.