Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Not-So-School Desks


Months ago (and months and months...) I picked up these two mis-matched old school desks at a thrift store.  I brought them home with the idea that they would get incorporated into a really neat little area in our attic; a writing nook with bookshelves and cozy reading spots.

Unfortunately, that area still only exists in my imagination, so they moved from the truck straight into the garage.

And sat there for months.

Then one day last month, since I was already wearing painting clothes, I dragged them out of the garage, cleaned them off, and prepped the one I wanted to paint.

I papered and taped all the wood to protect it from over-spray, shooed away the cats and the kids, and went to work.


One can of black spray paint and a few minutes later, I had an almost matching set of desks!


When the paint was dry, the desks moved...

back into the garage.

Last week, I finally had a chance to work inside, and I created a spot for them on our landing.
My two oldest daughters promptly claimed them and filled them with paper, notebooks, pencils, and dozens of unfinished stories.


It's not the cozy little nook in the attic that I'd imagined,
but it'll do for now!