Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It Has Begun

It has begun.
This school year marks the beginning of my last 13 years of teaching.
Let's pause and let that sink in for a minute.

Yeah.
I only have 13 years left before I retire.

Amazing.

Anyway.  Moving on.

We started our new school year on Monday, and for the first time, all four kids are "officially" in school.
I have two 5th graders, a 4th grader, and a Kindergartner.

All of the books that are scheduled to be read in the first 12 weeks barely fit on the school shelves in the living room,
(although some of these books will carry through the whole year)
(The top two shelves are alphabetized by author, and the bottom row of over-sized books is too.)

and our school cupboard in the kitchen is full of the workbooks and notebooks we use (almost) every day.
(Workbooks are grouped by subject, and notebooks are color-coded according to each child's signature color...which also happen to be their favorite colors.)

Am I organized?  Why, yes, yes I am.
Maybe a little bit too organized?
Maybe.
But I'm OK with that, and so is my family.
It helps keep the chaos under control, and everyone knows where to find what they need.

And if they can't find what they're looking for, I know exactly where to tell them to look!

***
(Can anyone guess what song is now stuck in my head?)